Thursday, January 7, 2010

Is tuna fish really bad for women?--and if you eat it, do you by any chance have a good recipe for tuna salad?

I have heard many times that tuna fish is bad for women of childbearing age because it has high levels of mercury. I really enjoy eating Tuna Fish and take vitamins every day. I usually eat a tuna sandwich/sald 3-4 times a week.





I have also heard that white tuna is safe and pink tuna is not, and have also heard vice versa, is either of these true?





Also, if any one has a good recipe for tuna salad, I'd love you to share.Is tuna fish really bad for women?--and if you eat it, do you by any chance have a good recipe for tuna salad?
I dont know about the other questions, but I do have a good recipe





MAGIC TUNA FISH SALAD SANDWICHES





2 cans of tuna fish packed in water


1 bunch of green onions


3 jalapeno peppers


1 cup of bean sprouts


1 cup of fresh white mushrooms


1 medium tomato


several leaves of romaine lettuce


1 cucumber


3 tablespoons of mayonnaise (or if you're concerned about fat/calories use fat-free mayo)


parmesan or romano cheese (you can also top with sliced cheddar, monterey jack, pepper jack or muenster)


2- 4 slices of whole wheat bread





Chop the following ingredients into small pieces; green onions, mushrooms, set aside.


Slice jalapenos down the middle from top to bottom, discard seeds, chop into small pieces and set aside.





Slice tomatoes and peel and slice cucumbers, keep these ingredients seperate from the other veggies.





In a large bowl mix 2 cans of drained tuna, 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise thoroughly, add jalapenos, bean sprouts, green onions and mushrooms, stir ingredients until everything is mixed into tuna and mayonnaise.





Spoon this mixture onto a slice of whole wheat bread covering bread evenly, top with cheese, tomato slices, lettuce and cucumber slices and finish with a slice of wheat bread on top. Cut diagonally serve with a slice of pickle and enjoy!Is tuna fish really bad for women?--and if you eat it, do you by any chance have a good recipe for tuna salad?
Below is a link to a site that lists fish by how toxic it is, albacore tuna is ranked relatively high due to high levels of mercury and only 3 servings per month is recommended.





The safest tuna to eat is supposedly the ';light';(Skipjack)tuna


ithttp://www.oceansalive.org/eat.cfm?subnav=healthalerts Report Abuse

I think fish in general is good for health. When you are pregnant, don't eat the canned type of fish and raw shellfish. They are toxic if they live in polluted waters. fresh fish is good.
Tuna should be eaten in moderation
Supposedly the albacore tuna (more expensive!) has more mercury in it than just the regular chunk light. I buy chunk light in water, not oil.





The best tuna salad I know is: 2 6-1/2-oz. cans of tuna, 1/2 cup pickle relish, 3/4 to 1 cup of Miracle Whip or mayo (amount to suit your taste), 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 medium stalks chopped celery (should be about 1 cup), 1/4 cup chopped onion if you like it, 3 cut-up hard-boiled eggs.





Mix well. I think this is delicious, but it is such an easy recipe that, if you don't like something, you can leave it out. Some people substitute olives for the pickle relish, but to me that is too salty.





Enjoy!
I have heard that you would have to consume 4 cans of tuna per day for the levels of mercury to have any effect on your body.


Tuna is a high protein, low fat-if in water, low carb, and low cal


I eat it all the time.


My favorite Recipe:


Boil 1 cup Elbow Macaroni (not carb friendly) according to package directions


1 small can black olive slices-drained


1/2 Cup each-diced onion, red bell pepper, celery


2 cans tuna in water-drained


1 1/2 Cup mayo-NOT MIRICLE WHIP


1/4 tsp. Paprika


Mix well and serve chilled
I've not ever heard that so that would be something new learned if it is true. I love tuna and eat quite a lot of it. My favorite and simplest recipe is just salad and I toss a can of tuna on it with my favorite dressing and viola' its a tasty meal.
My female cat (Prissy) eats tuna everyday and has not had any problems for 10 years. ;0) But I know it does not apply here. I never heard that. I wish you the best! I would ask your OB/GYN.





Oops. I just noticed you are not pregnant. I would ask a OB/GYN if you are trying to get pregnant and a family doctor if not.

No comments:

Post a Comment